VISU Blog #5

(Images will be uploaded when possible)

Part 1:

1. The goal of this assignment was to reimagine a book. Up until this point, we ran through the foundations of design and constructed 3×3 squares with circles to embody them. Rules were lax – Professor Marrow wanted the class to really think into what makes up a “book”, with an emphasis on usability and communicating the foundations of design.
  2. For my project, I constructed a sort of shadow-box lamp – the designs cut out of thick cardstock, with colored tissue paper behind them, so that the final effect is similar to stained glass. I tried to use the color of the paper and the usage of the light behind it to draw attention to the designs foundations that were illustrated.

Part 2:

1. I think the strongest aspect of my work is that, among my classmates, it was the pretty unique. Given the original assignment, not many others came to my same conclusion of creating what essentially amounts to a lamp. Additionally, the final product is quite charming – and it’s extremely user-friendly; everybody understands how they’re meant to interact with it.
  2. A draw back to this decision – the designs I had to choose to cut out as “stained glass” segments had to be very simple – I was afraid of making lines too thin or complex, as I tend to have a shaky hand when working in fine detail. As such, most of the design squares are not my favorites out of those I designed – but rather the most lamp-friendly.
  3. Perhaps the concept would be better adjusted if I included more interactivity – unlike a book, which requires more interactivity, the user of the lap merely has to look at it – or the shadows it casts. I’m sure, given time, I could produce a newer incarnation which could prove more educational.
  4. More sturdy materials would certainly prove helpful – all in all, my project consists largely of paper, plastic, and glass. As such, it proved a challenge to construct.