Blog 6: Thomas Rivera

Thomas Rivera is well known for being a true authority as a Chicano author, and progressing the movement of civil rights for his people during a time where many struggled. Through his novella “And the Earth Did Not Devour Him” Rivera was able to channel the essence and everyday lives of Mexican migrant workers.  This included portraying what they thought, how they interacted, what they were like alone, and many other defining characteristics that painted the complete picture of who these migrant workers truly were. I believe that in a way he is not trying to be bias in his remarks, but more or less trying to tell a story. Rivera is narrating a tale through many perspectives, that these workers are people as well and just like everybody else are susceptible to the good and bad qualities of the world. The benefit being this novella happens to also highlight the struggles they faced by these worker, and the different ways in which they choose to coop with them. One example of Rivera empowering the Chicano movement is by showing the love for each other they have while additionally struggling to keep that love going, which is seen in the chapter “The night before Christmas”. Throughout the whole chapter it is written as a sad, yet in a way it is also a heartwarming story of Latino values. Such as this passage,

“Christmas the children asked for toys. She always appeased them with the same promise. She would tell them to wait until the sixth of January, the day of the Reyes Magos, and by the time that day arrived the children had already forgotten all about it.”

In this quote we see that mother has to lie to her children about not being able to provide gifts since the work pay already given to them is only for sustaining and not thriving. Still in the face of overwhelming odds this Latin mother does everything in her power to bring happiness to her children. She does so because in Latino culture a families’ happiness is everything, as evidently seen here where she decides to get toys

“But why doesn’t Santa Claus bring us anything?” “What do you mean? What about the oranges and nuts he brings you?” “No, that’s Don Chon.” “No, I’m talking about what you always find under the sewing machine.” “What, Dad’s the one who brings that, don’t think we don’t know that. Aren’t we good like the other kids?” “Of course, you’re good children. Why don’t you wait until the day of the Reyes Magos. That’s when toys and gifts really arrive. In Mexico, it’s not Santa Claus who brings gifts, but the Three Wise Men. And they don’t come until the sixth of January. That’s the real date.” “Yeah, but they always forget. They’ve never brought us anything, not on Christmas Eve, not on the day of the Three Kings.” “Well, maybe this time they will.” “Yeah, well, I sure hope so.” That was why she made up her mind to buy them something.”

Even in the end where the children were disappointed yet again, Rivera shows that the mother tried anyway because of her love for family, due to her strong Latino beliefs, therefore helping strengthen Chicano culture. I believe this is how he shows the strength that comes with having Latino values in the face of suffering (financially), and still having the fortitude to do what is hard because these traditional Latin values compel you to do so.

67 thoughts on “Blog 6: Thomas Rivera”

1. When i got onto your blog site though putting attention simply just a little bit submits. Pleasant strategy for future, I will be bookmarking at a time get ones finish springs up… slot indosat gacor

2. I know your expertise on this. I must say we should have an online discussion on this. Writing only comments will close the discussion straight away! And will restrict the benefits from this information. canarysalon.com

3. Wonderful job right here. I seriously enjoyed what you had to say. Keep going because you undoubtedly bring a new voice to this subject. Not many people would say what youve said and still make it interesting. Properly, at least Im interested. Cant wait to see far more of this from you. 먹튀검증

4. Good post. I’m a regular visitor of your website and appreciate you taking the time to maintain the excellent site. I’ll be a regular visitor for a long time. 먹튀탐정

5. While the company may not have been at the forefront of AI in its early idn slot years, it has made significant strides in recent times to establish itself as a major player in this field.

6. Apple’s Core ML framework deserves mention Roulette Online as well. Introduced in 2017, this framework enables developers to integrate machine learning models into their apps easily.

7. These advancements have allowed users to interact with their devices using natural language commands, receive personalized recommendations based on their preferences, and enjoy faster Mahjong Ways 1 processing speeds for resource-intensive tasks like image recognition.

8. This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work.You put really very helpful information. Keep it up. Keep blogging. Looking to reading your next post. lotre

9. I’m very happy to read this. This is the type of manual that needs to be given and not the random misinformation that is at the other blogs. Appreciate your sharing this best doc. instagram följare

10. The blog post you shared was truly a treasure, brimming with valuable ideas and engaging narratives! Your unique way of writing, characterized by humor, vivid details, and smart analogies, truly brought the topic to life in my mind. It felt like I was taking a journey alongside you. I can’t wait for your next blog post, and I’ll definitely be on the lookout for it.
    https://7xmpilipinas.com/ppgaming/

11. Thank you for being a beacon of positivity and a source of inspiration to us all. Your unwavering optimism reminds us that with faith, perseverance, and a sprinkle of positivity, anything is possible. Keep shining brightly, for the world is undoubtedly a better place with your radiant presence in it.
    (CLAIM FREE BONUS NOW).

12. I loved as much as you will receive carried out right here. The sketch is attractive, your authored subject matter stylish. nonetheless, you command get bought an nervousness over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come more formerly again since exactly the same nearly a lot often inside case you shield this hike. win33

13. I have read a few good stuff here. Certainly worth bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how much effort you put to make such a wonderful informative website. bola bosku

14. I just now would like to explain i always was fresh to webpage in addition to undoubtedly preferred your blog web page. Likely I’m about to search for your site. People certainly include superb experiences. Best wishes intended for giving with us your site.
    diesel transmission shop

15. I do not know if it’s just me or if everybody else experiencing issues with your blog. It appears as though some of the text on your content are running off the screen. Can someone else please provide feedback and let me know if this is happening to them as well? This might be a issue with my web browser because I’ve had this happen before. Thanks pi123

16. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your insightful blog post! Your expertise shines through in your well-researched content, providing valuable insights that truly resonate with your audience. I look forward to reading more from you in the future!
    (CLAIM FREE BONUS NOW).

17. Hello! I merely would wish to give you a enormous thumbs up for that wonderful information you’ve here with this post. I am coming back to your blog to get more detailed soon. Ajaib88

18. There are a few interesting points soon enough in the following paragraphs but I don’t determine if I see these people center to heart. There is some validity but I’m going to take hold opinion until I consider it further. Great write-up , thanks and now we want far more! Added to FeedBurner at the same time Estate Administration Lawyers Gold Coast

19. The sbobet wap mobile app is a game-changer for me. It allows me to make bets on the go and stay updated with live scores and events, which is incredibly convenient for someone with a busy schedule.

20. Exploring togel through your articles has significantly improved my understanding and skills. Thank you for the valuable information!

21. This weekend, the slot qris gacor seems to be on a roll with higher payouts. It’s the perfect time to try your luck if you’ve been considering it. Does anyone plan to play this weekend?

22. Are you seeking excitement without the limitations of a Swedish license? Discover the realm of virtual gaming by using an gaming site that lacks a Swedish license. Take advantage of the variety and thrill of the games without any restrictions. Players can fully immerse themselves in nonstop entertainment at a gaming floor that does not enforce self-exclusion. visit for more details

23. I have been absent for a while, but now I remember why I used to love this website. Thanks, I’ll try and check back more often. How frequently do you update your web site? read more