Blog Post 5

“Howl” by Allen Ginsberg is packed to the brim with literary significance supported by true statements about the society of the 1950’s. Throughout the entire poem Ginsberg makes these words appear to be gibberish. However if the reader can understand the broader implications of what Ginsberg is trying to get across, then the reader will fully understand. One of the main themes I saw in the text was “Madness” Ginsberg opens up with “I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness” (Ginsberg 1) this concept of madness continues on later in the poem. Ginsberg dedicated this poem to Carl Solomon a man Ginsberg met in Columbia Presbyterian Psychiatric Hospital. Ginsberg believed people that the public generally sees as mentally ill, considers misunderstood geniuses. Another way Ginsberg could have interpreted madness is drug induced madness. Later in the first section of the poem he states “Peyote solidities of halls, backyard green tree cemetery dawns, wine drunkenness over the rooftops, storefront boroughs of teahead joyride neon blinking traffic light, sun and moon and tree vibrations in the roaring winter dusks of Brooklyn, ashcan rantings and kind king light of mind,” (Ginsberg 1) This can be interpreted in the complete opposite way than before, instead of claiming Solomon as this genius he might be hinting at the fact that he was also a drug fueled addict. I enjoy how Ginsberg leaves it up to the reader to believe what they want.

A literary technique used in Howl is using symbols, imagery and wordplay. Throughout the text Ginsberg uses these signs, imagery and wordplay to attract the reader. “angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night,” (Ginsberg 1) Ginsberg gives these vivid images throughout the text and it is effective for catching the reader’s attention!

16 thoughts on “Blog Post 5”

1. Nick – You’re right that there are multiple forms of madness. Some drug-induced (on purpose, in order to embrace an alternate state of mind), some a response to what Ginsberg portrays as almost insane aspects of a capitalist society, some imposed (as when he is institutionalized for being gay).

2. Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is a very well written article. I’ll be sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful info. Thanks for the post. I’ll definitely return. Zonnepanelen

3. It has fully emerged to crown Singapore’s southern shores and undoubtedly placed her on the global map of residential landmarks. I still scored the more points than I ever have in a season for GS. I think you would be hard pressed to find somebody with the same consistency I have had over the years so I am happy with that. Airco

4. Really appreciate this wonderful post that you have provided for us.Great site and a great topic as well i really get amazed to read this. Its really good. Zonnepanelen kopen

5. I was very pleased to find this site.I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. Airconditioning