Blog 7: Losing my Religion

in steve Stedman’s Faitheist he discusses the transformation from a fundamental Christian to an eventual atheist. He describes this process as gradual, “There was no moment of revelation, no neat and tidy bookend to the years of belief that followed my initial conversion.” Stedman states. Although it doesn’t have a definite end he does allude to a beginning, his Theology class at Augsburg college where he was assigned a project where he was to makes his own cannon using the books and movies that defined him. “I relished the project. . . ” says Stedman  “. . .it was only after I submitted it that I realized I hadn’t included the Bible.” eventually these feelings grew resulting in him losing his religion quietly in the corner.

Stedman uses many anecdotes in his writing to describe personal experiences. For example, he writes “The […] bridge collapsed without warning during rush hour, I stood with a group of friends near the wreckage.” This particular anecdote was used to describe how at one time he was religious and now his religion is gone, in the spotlight. He goes on to say “I was [. . .] annoyed— in the wake of death and destruction, I couldn’t abide the prayers I overheard. I thought that praying was futile at best [. . .]  ‘This is bullshit,’ I mumbled,” oh no, I’ve said too much? Here he describes a complete loathing for every whisper of prayer. Thinking the mourner as a hurt, lost and blinded fool. Now he’s seen too much.