Gestalt Project

SoCo Final Reflection

I believe that as a set, my photos mostly represent the law of similarity.  The subject matter and the color scheme of the photos are alike, and I shot all of the photos in the middle of the day.  I believe that they also represent the law of containment, because I was intentional about how I wanted each photo “cropped”.  The law of proximity may also apply in some cases—I was intentional about showing greenery and plant life directly next to anything that looked urban or industrial.  During my final trip to South Congress, I tried much harder to properly attain the right angles, placement, and general composition of my pictures.  I think that they turned out much better, but I am still not confident in my understanding of the Gestalt laws.

I have found this project to be pretty challenging.  I have had a hard time identifying some Gestalt laws in my photos, and even after going back and taking more, it was still difficult to create images based on the laws after studying them.  I think I have an extremely oversimplified view of most art.  My photos seem to look like “snapshots” to others, rather than solid pieces of “art”.  To go along with this major problem, I also had some technical difficulties along the way, which is why my photos on the blog are not edited.  I will approach the next project with more confidence and work ethic, and find a theme that is better for me to work with.

unnamed-1 unnamed-2 unnamed-3 unnamed