May 8, 2020

Did you change your spring break plans because of the virus? From what to what?

No.

How did you feel when you were informed the remainder of the semester would be held online?

I felt that I wouldn’t be as engaged with my classes and schoolwork. Many of my professors made the effort to connect with us, but unless they weren’t behind a screen, I felt that I would be disconnected.

Where will you be living while courses are held online? Is this a change from usual?

With my parents; I usually live on campus, so I wasn’t used to the change.

What has been your experience with moving classes online? What’s good? What’s not so good?

My mind immediately went to how I could get up 5 minutes after waking up straight to class. However, I quickly found that it wasn’t fun. Home was also a place of endless distraction (I had a little brother and all of my game systems there) so I felt like I was falling behind.

How has the virus (and the precautions taken to prevent it spreading) impacted your daily life?

I work part-time at a Starbucks nearby campus. We are required to wear face masks and gloves, and many cafe-only stores had to shut down. We were busy for the longest time, and despite the call to stay home, many people refuse to do so, and we were busy many times throughout the breakout.

How worried are you about getting the virus?

Very, I feel very vulnerable with the fact that I have asthma and that I work customer service. I feel a lot of the people within the “customer base” tend to get the virus from going out when they should’ve stayed home, and as a result, people working in stores get sick and take it home to their families.

Do you know anyone who has gotten COVID-19?

Yes; One of my coworkers, who works an opposite shift from me, had gotten sick. The only times we’ve seen each other are on Fridays, but I hadn’t worked a Friday with her since school shut down. I wasn’t considered “in contact” with her since I hadn’t worked with her in two weeks, especially not when she showed symptoms. She is alive and completely healed, and after almost two months of not seeing her, I’ve worked a shift with her!

Are you staying in? What are you doing to pass the time?

Besides work and school, I play a lot of Animal Crossing: New Horizons and Minecraft. I’ve been in contact with a lot of my friends, most of them had to stay home so I would be there to play online with them. Otherwise, I’d watch TV with my mom or dad. (When our wi-fi went out, we watched free TV, mostly 2000s shows)

Are you going out? Where do you go and what is it like?

I’ve only really gone out for work and grocery shopping. I’ve went out once at the beginning to see how 6th street looks. It was eerie to see the usually busy and hectic street so empty, with the occasional homeless person nearby.

What is giving you hope and/or strength right now?

The holiday season. Halloween has a full moon and is on a Saturday, and I’m hoping to celebrate it with friends since I don’t work Saturdays! Also, the fact that my grandmothers (my only living grandparents) are safe.

Is there anything else you’d like to tell us about what you’re feeling or experiencing right now?

The whole businesses-opening-up statistic is scary, as many more people are getting sick (over 1000 new cases!) But I have hope that I can have some summer vacation this year, especially since my internship got cancelled.