March 24, 2020

Did you change your spring break plans because of the virus? From what to what?

Yes, a friend and I were supposed to be visiting a fellow Hilltopper who was apart of the Disney College Program. We made the decision to not go less than a week before the visit was supposed to happen and a couple days before Disney World closed its park. It was relieving knowing we made the best call but I still got upset because of how much I was looking forward to it.

How did you feel when you were informed the remainder of the semester would be held online?

I was on Face-time with the same friend I would be going on the trip with. We were going to do an at home workout together. We both received the email while on call with one another and we both burst into tears. Luckily we were both home with our families because we got so upset. It was our last semester of school and we wouldn’t be students on campus again.  I for one was not ready to say goodbye to the school or the people there. I had no idea that Thursday, March 12th would be the last time I was a student on campus. After crying for a while, I called a couple friends who also were hit really hard with the news. I still cannot believe I am not going back.

What has been your experience with moving classes online? What’s good? What’s not so good?

I am an Acting major. I would say it is pretty impossible to actually hold class the same way. We were prepping for our showcase that was happening early May to bring in industry professionals to see our work. That is no longer happening and I am not sure if we can have one over the web either. We still may have to rehearse those scenes as if the showcase was happening. I will say it is going to be quite the transition acting with a scene partner through a screen who is in a different city. It is not the same and will not be the same unfortunately. For my Gen Ed courses, it is easier to be held online and so they should be fine.

Are you staying in? What are you doing to pass the time?

I have been making art, reading, and watching shows. Puzzles and coloring have kept me busy as well as cooking. I face-time fellow friends and family members who are stuck at home. I would say that social media has been really draining as twitter is constantly updating with news on the current state of the virus. To avoid adding extra anxieties, i have begun to limit the amount of times I look up anything about it.

What is giving you hope and/or strength right now?

Knowing that we are all in this together and that I am not alone. Everyone is being affected whether they have the virus or not. Hopefully everyone is doing their part in staying healthy and safe.

Is there anything else you’d like to tell us about what you’re feeling or experiencing right now?

My Grandmother in Canada is not doing well at all. I am worried about her passing and not being able to go to the funeral. I fear that the border may close or if I do go, I end up being quarantined there or when I get back. There have been a few moments where I just shake my head in disbelief that this is what is happening right now.

I am fearful and anxious because I feel like the rug has been pulled from under me. The few things I thought were for certain are no longer an option. I thought I would have one final class with my BFA classmates in Arts 141. I thought I would walk through the red doors with the class of 2020 in May. I assumed I would be walking across the graduation stage with my family in the audience a month from now. Again, this has taught me that nothing is for certain.