Blog Entry 10

My two articles this week talk about Tunisia winning the global app contest for the second time and about a Tunisian rapper that joined ISIS. My first article was about Tunisia’s success with the global app contest. They won and that is very significant because it shows the progression of the country and more specifically the progression of the country from the youth workforce. The youth are definitely steering their country in the right direction to be successful in the new era. Having something be the best in a technology field is very significant and it is remarkable for a country that is currently in the process of uprising. It relates to what we have been talking about in class because it talks about how countries are still trying to make progress after the Arab Spring. It reminded me of when we had that discussion asking if the Arab Spring was over. I think this shows that it might not be over for everyone, but I think that it is coming to an end for some countries. My second article was written be Alessandria Masi, and it was a bout the rapper that joined ISIS. He was falsely arrested for marijuana possession, but what others think he was really arrested for was talking about police brutality in his song lyrics. After this, he realized that the government was against the people, he joined because he knew that was his only way of making a difference at that point. He is definitely a radical. He wants to see change. The government is hurting everyone, and anyone that does not agree with them, they are punishing. He decided the best way to fight that was to actually fight with ISIS. We were talking about ISIS in class. Until I read this article I did not really understand how anyone could justify ISIS. I do not support ISIS at all, but I do not support things not changing either. People all have ways of trying to make a change.

One thought on “Blog Entry 10”

1. Nice presentation on Tunisian economy and youth culture.

I thought it was very interesting that, with so many men working abroad, women represent a comparatively larger proportion of the national workforce as compared to other countries in the region.