ARTS1311 Reading #2

Andrea Wheelock
ARTS1311
Prof. Robinson
12 Oct, 2015

Reading #2

Based upon the reading how are priorities set for specific projects? Or in other words, what is it that determines the guidelines for given projects?
Everyone knows that priorities are set from most important to least important. However, there are times in which our attention is driven to the greater parts of the project, making us think that those are the most important parts of it. We tend to forget about all the small steps we first have to go through, in order for the “most important” things to happen. These small steps should be considered as important as the big parts of the project, or even more so. Such as in the curatorship of What If, written by Maria Lind, where she first had to look at the art, its structure and what it portrayed, before knowing where to put it.
However, what determines the guidelines for specific projects depends on the people and their point of views. What they believe is most important to do, or what is most important to display with their piece of art. For example if they want to express something with their art, they will follow what best suits their project, without caring about what people will actually feel with the art. Or others may want the viewers to feel something specific, then they will follow a different set of steps in order to accomplish their goal.

2. How does the artist/ designer approach decision making differently or do they?  
A designer responds to someone’s expectations by using their skills to brainstorm ideas and come out with one that can fulfill their need. An artist always wants to express what he wants in whichever way it seems easier for him to do. He does not always plan what he is going to do, but just does it and keeps doing it until it satisfies what he wanted to express.

Personal Reflection
1. How do you make decisions? Are they based upon anything substantial? Why or why not?
Yes, my decisions are based on how important something is. But I also tend to look at the bigger picture to see how my decisions will affect my life, and how they will reflect on me. I tend to see what the options are, or how I can create an idea, then picture it on how it will work out, and then I decide whether to do one thing or the other.
2. How do you know when something is “good” or working?
I know when something is good when I feel satisfied with the work done, since it fulfilled all of the requirements. I know when something is working because nothing has gone wrong, and it is responding to all of the questions/requirements on hand.
3. How do you rework projects to make them work?
I tend to see at all the information it contains, evaluate it to see if that information is still valid, and then remove all the information that is not needed anymore, or that up to this date, does not work anymore, and I replace it with what is up to date, in order for it to make sense again, and so it can work again. Then I look at the contained data again to check if it has any problem or mistake, and then correct them. I evaluate it one more time. Then I continue with the project and I add more new ideas.