ARTS1311 Reading #1

1. What is the purpose of a designer, do they always work for a stakeholder?
The purpose of a designer is to respond to someone’s expectations by using their skills to brainstorm ideas and come out with one that can fulfill their need. And yes, most of the time they work for stakeholders.

2. Is the artist always a self-expressive narcissist?
Yes, an artist always wants to express what he wants in whichever way it seems easier for him to do. He does not always plan what he is going to do, but just does it and keeps doing it until it satisfies what he wanted to express.

3. Can the designer/artist exist?
No, because while a designer wants to satisfy someone else’s needs, the artist satisfies its own. A designer has a set process in which he knows he will be working with so he can “solve” the “problem”. An artist doesn’t and just works with no rules, but with inspiration based on something (physical, emotional, personal, etc.)

Personal Reflection

1. What is your personal view of the difference between the designer and the artist?
My personal view of the difference between the designer and the artist is that the designer has to work within certain rules which he must follow, he works with instructions and specifications. On the other hand, the artist expresses what he feels about something through his work, and doesn’t have to prove anything to anyone (clients, public, or contractors.) Just to himself.

2. Which are you, why?
I believe I am a designer because I can offer my skills to people, and I can engage my work to how they would like something to be. I can give ideas to satisfy people’s needs by brainstorming whatever they would like me to do. I like to work within certain rules.