Elevator Speeches that get you Hired

The Sassy Intern

By Veronica Puente, The Sassy Intern

What are they?
For all of you who haven’t taken a business course ever, an elevator speech is a 30-second speech that summarizes who you are, what you do and why you’d be a perfect candidate.

Why?
An elevator speech is a tool for you to introduce yourself, your skills, and your goals in a professional conversation. You use this tool when you meet someone who works in something you’d like to do. You use it to “network” and meet people with your same professional interests. Because our society is fast-paced and concerned with brevity it’s often a rule to do this in 30 seconds.

The Basics
Ideally this little 30 second speech is supposed to be a quick summary of who you are….but I don’t know of anyone that could ever put their whole self and entity into 30 seconds. So, when making the speech keep it down to professional information and accomplishment based.

Possible information to include?
Your Bachelor’s degree, where you worked, where you want to work, and what you’re good at.

Example:
Hi, I’m Elizabeth. I’m an English major with experience working with local non-profits. Recently, I volunteered for Casa Marianella as a web content developer. Before that I worked for the Human Resources office at St. Edward’s university where I helped manage an efficient database and filing system.

Use this question for the interview question “tell me about yourself.” It’s a quick view into the recent highlights of your resume.
Or take a completely different route. Paint what you’re good at or what you do in a one snippet sentence that drips with interest.

Example:
I have a team that specializes in building and preserving wealth for dentists by utilizing the recent Supreme Court ruling

Whoa? What Supreme court ruling? wealth? But I’m a dentist…Hmm? Don’t you want to know more about this individual?
Thus, I personally like the second one because it’s so different but they both work. You just have to do the work. What work? This work:

1. Write down & Format your speech. Make it look and sound gooooood.
  2. Practice that speech. Practice it in the mirror, in front of your dog, in front of your mom, in front of your friends. You should not only know what you’re saying but what you look like and sound like when you’re saying it.
  3. Now get fancy with it. In order for you not to sound rehearsed or worse…a robot while saying it, improvise with it. Practice saying it in different ways and in different imaginary circumstances.

Last few tips:

1. Be willing to drop the speech. If you’re in a conversation where you’re already talking to someone about yourself and your experiences, forget the speech! Just say what you mean.
  2. Do not get caught up on sounding ‘“fancy.” This speech should be easily read and understood by anyone. Don’t use fancy industry words. Just say it.
  3. End with a question. Engage the listener when you finish.