Creativity and Making : Tan

Creativity. I think some of this comes from your background. This shapes who you are and what you do. Some of it can be inherent like Amy Tan talked about. She talked about her creativity as a child. How her art abilities were advanced for her age. However, I found her circumstances to be the most interesting way it shaped her life. Her brother’s and father’s death seemed to have shaped her outlook on creativity and chance. It made her see things more as having a purpose than trying to figure out exactly why things happened, like her mother (who never found the answer).

She talked extensively about her inspiration for books and how she found creativity. I found it to be very interesting how she something would happen in her life and something so coincidental would follow. It was almost like it was her grandmother’s ghost, like she said. I think creativity comes from a deep place of knowledge and interest of the unknown at the same time. I think with Amy’s TED Talk she encompassed both of those things.