Town Lake Trees 2

Blog Post #2

Daniela Fernandez

Trees on Town Lake 2

Over the course of this fall semester, I have been observing the beautiful trees located along Lady Bird Lake on Town Lake Trail in the amazing city of Austin, Texas. I decided to observe these trees because I regularly walk the trail and am amazed by their beauty and the scenery they provide for the walkers, runners, joggers, and dog lovers that visit the trail every day. Not only do they provide an amazing scenery for these visitors or locals, they also provide the shade necessary for a nice walk or jog whether it be in the hot summers or chilly winters. The trees also serve as a nice view and scenery for local or visiting canoers and/or paddle boarders along the lake.

The most prominent tree along the trail and lake is a huge, beautiful cypress tree on the side of the lake. It’s size is impressive and there have been many amazing photos if the tree as it grows bigger and bigger. The tree attracts tourism because of it’s beauty, grace and size. This is not the only cypress tree located along the trail, but it is without a doubt the biggest and most impressive.

Over the entire semester, I have observed the trees along town lake which are visible from my own balcony, which I would check on daily, and on my daily or weekly walks along the beautiful and serene trail. Throughout the course of my observations, I have not found anything out of the ordinary except one thing which I found to be very strange. Despite the change of season, and it already being mid to late November, most of the leaves of the trees along the trail have either not yet begun to change color or fall, or have barely begun to fall or change color. I thought this was very strange and was a bit disappointed because I was expecting to have the opportunity to observe this beautiful season change. Because this and because of the hot weather in the city even though it is so late in the year, I came to think that this is due to global warming and all we have done to harm the planet. It is not normal for it to be so hot so late in the year!

I began to do research about the restorations and keeping up of the trail because I was so disappointed about not all of the trees’ leaves changing color or falling. In my research, I came across The Trail Foundation, an organization built with the purpose of restoration and enhancement of the trail. From the organization’s page I found photos of what the trail looked like without any trees whatsoever in the mid to late 1900’s and was in shock of the difference from then to now! Trees made all the difference in the trail and are literally what makes it so beautiful. Because the trees are so important to the trail, their maintaining is vital, which is where the Trail Foundation comes in. Some of the many goals of the Foundation are to repair and improve ecological function, restore and enhance plant communities, enhance resiliency, and much more (The Trail Foundation). The city of Austin is great with keeping up the environmental status of the city and supporting foundations such as this one to make the city even more beautiful and alive for it’s locals and many visitors.

Overall, I am glad to have had the opportunity to observe the trees on Town Lake for this class as I would have probably not even wondered about them had it not been for this project. I learned the importance of the environment throughout this course and this project and how important it is to keep it maintained and respected and how all of us must work together to help the world we live in be a more beautiful and healthy place!

Tree with leaves still green on Town Lake
View of Auditorium Shores and Seaholm Intake Structure, circa 1950.

(Not my picture, from https://thetrailfoundation.org/2015/09/01/butler-trail-at-lady-bird-lake-urban-forestry-and-ecological-restoration/

Bibliography

Butler Trail at Lady Bird Lake: Urban Forestry and Ecological Restoration. (2017, February 14). Retrieved October 09, 2017, from https://thetrailfoundation.org/2015/09/01/butler-trail-at-lady-bird-lake-urban-forestry-and-ecological-restoration/(2011, October 21).

C. (2017, April 16). Town Lake Tree Restoration. Retrieved from https://www.wildflower.org/pressroom/town-lake-tree-restoration

A. (n.d.). Austin History Center. Retrieved from http://www.austinlibrary.com/ahc/green/public1.htm