Expert Hours: 2800 hrs

Expert Experiences: UX/UI Talk, Austin Chamber of Commerce Internship, branding for Tap the Hilltop, Branding and design for Climbing Club & Team

Social/emotional development, use of feedback, and contribution to climate are all consistent with the mid semester review.

Sophistication of your work

I thought I was a medium-high, but I’m a medium. There’s so much more to learn. I still have 7k hours to practice, so that’s okay. There’s plenty of time to improve, and the skills I have now are a very solid foundation.

For the longest time– actually, until just now, I thought this class was about learning how to manipulate type (and only type) on the most basic (yet complex) level. Well, it was actually about using type in bigger, advanced concepts. We’re not just setting posters here anymore. We’re setting complex videos and programs that take months to make. We’re designing type for those purposes. That’s what’s advanced about it.

The planning was something I’ve never done so in depth for a design project. Usually my process involves experimenting with the piece very spontaneously to see what looks best, but I had to go past that with the booklet. I experimented on a smaller scale then made a plan on what fonts will be used well. Character Styles helped me stick with that plan and stay consistent throughout.

level of challenge to yourself

Let’s bump this up to a medium. I was pretty determined to have an awesome book, and I worked for it. Many many crits and printer jams later, I have this beautiful thing I’m very proud of.

use of practice time

Almost consistent. I genuinely wanted to make the book perfect, so I put the time into it. Also, InDesign is easier to work with off my laptop, so I had that opportunity.

I think I deserve an A for this semester.