1 Where are you in your hours that you declared earlier in the semester? Looking at your work now, are your current accumulated hours enough?

At the beginning of the semester I said that 7-10 hours outside of class was my expert hour goal. By the middle of the semester I should have accumulated about 49 – 70 hours. Though I have been doing sufficient work for this class and for the most part turning assignments in on time I believe that I have not reached my mid semester goal of 49 hours. Though I do think I am close because I feel that I completed about 6 hours a week. I think a reason that I did reach the goal is because I was often frustrated with after effects. I am very excited for his upcoming brand project because I think I will be more motivated to work on this project. Because of this motivation I believe I will be able to reach my goal of 98 -140 hours.        

2 Has your definition of “sophisticated” work changed from last semester? If so, how so? What is sophisticated in your weather report?

I think I have always had a similar idea of what sophisticated work looks like but during my time at St. Edward’s I do think my understanding of how of achieve sophisticated work, and the effort that goes into has definitely shifted. As each semester passes in my graphic design class I begin to realise the time and attention to detail that makes a design better than the rest. This semester I have come to realise that researching and refining are the most important parts to create anything that is sophisticated.      

3 Describe how the new things you’ve learned so far connect to what you already had coming into the semester.

The new things I have learned this semester have connected the knowledge I have acquired in my previous semester classes. For instance I would not have been able to complete the LATCH Weather Report if I had not taken Image Methodology and created an app mockup, before. Learning the more advanced aspects After Effects would have been impossible if I had not first understood the basics. Similarly the ideas of symbols and using maps to organize information which I had learned about in Graphic Design 1, definitely applied to my weather report video, in terms of the way in which I communicated to the audience what the data the video represented.  

4 What are somethings you are still unsure about in this project that you would like to know more about?

I would have liked to learn more about how you code repeating movements in after effects. I think that it would be a useful skill to have. By showing how to do it in class, even just once, would make it easier to understand when we research how to do more complex tasks on our own. I also would have liked to know how to align footage with camera motion. I think this would have made my final product look a lot more sophisticated.  

5 Assign a level of value to this project. Identify two other projects in your creative life and place this weather report relative to them. How close or far are they from one another? What qualities did each project have that the other’s didn’t that would rate them higher/lower?

I think that two project that the Weather Report would rank between would be my Cognitive Decision Map ranking highest and my Style Project for Image Methodology being lowest. The Weather Report ranks higher than the Style Project because though the individual pictures in the set worked well, they were not a cohesive set. I think the weather report ranks higher because I believe that each latch movement flows cohesively to the nest. The motion and order makes sense within the video. The Cognitive Decisions Map ranks heights because it was detailed and more refined than most of my other project. I also think the most important part of why I liked this project was because I was able to successfully express my style and creativity. The Weather Report ranks lower than the Map because it was very difficult to make sure every detail neat and flowed well. I also think that in terms of creativity in design it was definitely not as successful as the map.        

6 Break down the percentages of what entities are responsible for creating growth within the creative you. Am I part of it? Part of it is on you, right? Do you consider your classmates/friends as influencers on the course of your trajectory for success? At the end of the semester you will be evaluating me, but right now within your own pie piece, how much have you brought to the game? How did it end up that you brought that much?

I think that professors make up about 30% of the contributing force in shaping the creative me. I believe that I personally make up 30% of shaping myself. My friends and family, the people I surround myself with make up 20%. And pop culture and social media makes up the last 20%. I believe everyone on around me is at least a small influencer in who I am and what ideas I believe. I feel that my relationship with creativity and contributing to my own creativity has been on a decline. I need to make a more considered effort to allow myself the time to practice design and to research designers or influencers on my own. Right now I do not do the best job at that, because I feel a bit overwhelmed with other classes, assignments, and life outside school. By the end of the semester I hope to spend more time designing outside of class assignments and exploring my creative side.    

7 Ask me or express something, you feel like you can’t in class or even my office: http://tunarice.tumblr.com/ask (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.