The artist I chose to write about, named Hrishikesh Hirway, would not be considered an artist in the traditional visual art sense. Hirway was born on the 1st of February, 1979, in Peabody Massachusetts. He graduated from Yale with a degree in Art. He has composed for movies such as Save the Date and The Dukes of Hazzard. Although Hrishikesh Hirway is best known as a musician, and composer, he is also known for his production of the podcast Song Exploder. I was first introduced to Hirway’s work, on Song Exploder, this year in my Visual Studies course. I have always been very intrigued in the art of Podcasts and radio shows because of the amazing content and the elements of sound that create such moving pieces of work.

A specific piece of work by Hirway I would like to reference is one of his latest episodes on Song Exploder, Episode 115: Maggie Rodders. The podcast tells the story of Maggie Rodgers journey as a music student in her university. The way the story is pieced together and the sound effects that are layered within make for a moving and motivational episode. Even though there are no images the listener is sucked into the story. I think that the fact that Hirway can create such a trance is a true sign of his artistic abilities.