03 Sequence-Film Reflection

Reflection-Run Lola Run

In the past, I have paid close attention to time in art. I find time elements in art and film not only interesting but important. If an artist knows how to work with time in their art, they can create a dynamic piece that can transport the observer for what seems like hours or seconds. Determining the length of a piece, chronology, and sequences is a deliberate act.

Run Lola Run was an incredibly dynamic film.  The mix of animation and film, converging shots, and repetitive segments all incorporate the importance of time. The entire premise of the film revolves around a twenty-minute slip of time in which every action is important.  The concept of sequence was especially important in this film. The order of the events made the film flow and created a unique sense of bending time. From repeating past scenes and combatting death are parts of the film that stuck out to m when concerning time and sequence. The repeated sequence of Lola running for what seems an interminable amount of time creates a rushed suspense for the observer. While I was watching the film, I felt my pulse quicken and my leg began to shake, as the running sequences pushed me to feel that rushed suspense. The addition of clock imagery, pulsating electronic music, and converging shots of both Lola and Manni also contributed to this feeling.

A stylistic choice in the film which caught my interest was the joining of animation and realistic styles. Not only was it visually engaging, but it also created an interesting sequence. To me, the animated segments of the film relied on faster tempo and movement than the film. The exaggeration in form and fluidity of the animation contributes to this quick pace and even creates a sense of panic. This element contributed well to the sequence of the film. Switching between real and animated content emphasized the urgency of Lola’s task. To me, the animated segments are representative of Lola’s thoughts, feelings, and perspective. A similar method is used in American television. Programs like Lizzie McGuire used an animated representation of the main character to show her feelings and thoughts.

Although time has been an element of art that I observed in the past, I never thought about sequence and the technical aspects of its presence in art. I am glad that I am now more aware of how time contributes to the effect of a piece. I’ll now pay attention to the use of sequence in art and how it contributes to the overall meaning of a work of art. I even want to experiment with the concept sequence in my own art, as it can create a new dimension to the idea I’m trying to display.