SEMINAR VISU #11 (last one yay!)

Part 1

FACULTY PRESENTATIONS

Bob bryan? (He never said his name.. 🙁 sorry)

• Love for the Pinball machine
  • Space invaders (this was actually my favorite videogame with Moto Racer and Hot Wheels Stunt Track Driver)
  • Atari VCS
  • Went to graduate school to study film
  • Worked at Mattel for “My Interactive Poo”
  • Co-designed the “Pinball Hall of Fame”

One thing that interests me is how he studies film but ended up working in the game industry. I guess it just goes to show how if you really like something you can investigate and learn by yourself new things. It’s pretty amazing all of the things he has achieved.

Alexandra Robinson

• Showed interesting things about her kids, such as pictures they took on their phones/ipads
  • She started making art dining room table after having her kids and also she has less time for art
  • Talked about how we see things in isolated ways
  • Mentioned how we need to remember to play (however, when we “play” for a project it’s unacceptable)
  • Instinct/Reason
  • New work: Ideas about perception and morse code

One thing I liked about her presentation is how she made those creepy gifs of pictures her children took. I guess it’s due to the fact that she’s interested in the different perceptions that we have.

Joe Vitone

• Current work: photographs family records shot in film that show the passage of time
  • 20 years of work (pictures from Ohio)
  • Talked about finding purpose
  • Pictures play with masculinity and sensuality
  • Agriculture landscape
  • Costa Rica portraits
  • Taken during the summer

Something interesting about his work is how it will never stop (probably until he dies.. sorry if it’s morbid). It’s a nice way to see how people change. In fact, it makes me wish I had photographs like that of my family. Overall, all of his pictures look amazing.

Part 2

Overall, I really enjoyed my first semester here at St. Ed’s. It was fun to take classes where I have to do things I enjoy, such as visual studies or drawing. I also enjoyed this course in specific. It was fun to see what other artists, faculty, and seniors have created and the different perspectives people have. It would’ve been good to somehow have activities to meet my classmates (although I do know this is a seminar which entails a big amount of students). Or perhaps to make it a little bit interactive. However, those are just some things I would’ve liked. I still really enjoyed the class.