Creativity and Making: Brakhage

This is one of the most interesting pieces I’ve ever seen. To begin with, this piece doesn’t express itself. Thus, it is up to the audience to capture what they see. Personally, this reminds me of various things such as the cosmos. The images that flash through our eyes visually portray the cosmos. It’s a beautiful artistic representation of them.

When first watching this film, I felt baffled. Quickly, it was followed by the feeling of anxiousness. Because of the way this film was made, the images flashing doesn’t allow you to fully know what you’re seeing. This almost forces you to pause the video on every single new shot just to see the full image. Once you’re able to watch the short film without stopping, your eyes take an important toll on this stage. At the same time your eyes are trying to sort out every image, your mind is also trying to decipher what’s going on. Since there isn’t enough time to see the full image, your mind starts to play around. You can even start to imagine seeing certain things. For example, recently I re-watched the show American Horror Story: Freak Show. Thus, I started seeing the faces of clowns. This also reminded me of was of the famous Rorschach Inkblot Test. As I mentioned previously, your mind starts to guess what the images represent.

To conclude, there is a certain fascination to cosmos. Brakhage was able to portray it perfectly. Having the short film without a sound does give it more meaning to it. This happens because it makes you focus on one thing: the flashing of the images. Your full attention is devoted to them, which is why your mind starts wandering trying to decipher what your eyes are seeing.