Reflection 2

Through this article, I tried to focus on the things that teachers can do or provide to make the students more engaged in learning though technology. One thing I came across was the aspect of participatory cultures, which is a culture that shows strong support for generating and sharing one’s creation. I agree with this because I believe that if a teacher provides a culture like such, then students will gain more opportunities to express themselves as well as opportunities for peer to peer learning. Communication is key in a classroom and this caught my eye because it shows that member of a participating community believe their involvement matter and potentially can feel some amount of social connection with one another. It does make me a little nervous to incorporate technology into my classroom one day because of the pressure to ensure that every young student has skills and experiences required to become a full participant in the learning process. It makes me think about how I will try to be a very nurturing teacher and encourage the students to obtain skills that will better them in society. I understand through this article that the more you know about technology and the more skilled you are then you become someone who is culturally elite. Basically, meaning that you will have more access to opportunities. Another thing that interested me was the article stating that the first five years of a child’s life are formative for literacy and social skills. I plan to work with kindergarten so, my question now is, what is the best way to enrich technological opportunities to all students? Is there a way to get a head start?  This article made me realize that educators should take advantage of social networking when they link learners with other learners who may share their interests.