Buttons Assignment

wondertag joytag joyicon Print

This was a sort of mix between a visualization exercise and an advertising assignment. The class was to visit somewhere that evoked a certain emotion for us, and write instructions, like on a product, which would allow the user to feel that emotion. When we had done that, we constructed the focus of the piece, a series of buttons, (or in my case, stickers) that would act as a sort of merit badge for completing the task.

My chosen emotions were wonder and joy, and I’m honestly really pleased with the designs themselves. I really got to flex my painting skills again to make the illustrations on the tags. The ‘joy’ sticker was originally going to be a vector, but I had to change it when my teacher advised me to make a piece that better suited the mood, because we both thought vector was too for the mood I was trying to evoke. I also changed the vector illustration for ‘wonder’, because it was originally coming out too Halloween-like, because I was adding all these creepy things in the little underground passage, and they didn’t match the feeling of ‘wonder’.

The biggest problems with the final piece are not visible here, because they are printing issues. The printer I used was of poor quality, and left spotting and darkened colors. Further, I could not find a way to pre-cut the sticker sheets I printed the images out on, like commercial stickers are, which kind of ruins the presentation.