The TLTR is exploring what digital skills are needed by students, faculty, and staff. Here is a list of some of the things we are reading. We looked at these resources for our February 2022 meeting:
Group 1: Pick 1 reading on Workforce Digital Skills
Burning Glass & Business-Higher Education Forum Report: Read the summary then take a look at the full report; read about one skill in detail.
- Summary from AAC&U: Dedman, B. (2019, May). Foundational Skills to Succeed in Today’s Economy. AAC&U News. https://web.archive.org/web/20210918202924/https://www.aacu.org/aacu-news/newsletter/foundational-skills-succeed-today%E2%80%99s-economy (about 800 words)
- Full report: Markow, W., Hughes, D., & Bundy, A. (2018). New Foundational Skills of the Digital Economy. Burning Glass Technologies & Business-Higher Education Forum. https://www.burning-glass.com/research-project/new-foundational-skills/ (57 pages total, but skim; many graphs & headings)
Salesforce Global Digital Skills Index: Read the summary then browse the full report.
- Smalley, S. (2022, January 28). Salesforce Survey Shows Workers Lack Advanced Digital Skills. Inside Higher Ed. https://www.insidehighered.com/quicktakes/2022/01/28/salesforce-survey-shows-workers-lack-advanced-digital-skills (281 words)
- Salesforce Launches Global Digital Skills Index: In-Depth Insights from 23,000 Workers. (2022, January 27). Salesforce News. https://www.salesforce.com/news/stories/salesforce-digital-skills-index-details-major-gaps-across-19-countries/ (1681 words)
Group 2: Pick 1 reading on Higher Ed Skills Gap
Higher Ed’s Digital Skills Gap
Morrison, D. (2016). Higher Ed’s Digital Skills Gap: Faculty & Students, Online Learning Insights. https://onlinelearninginsights.wordpress.com/2016/11/19/higher-eds-digital-skills-gap-faculty-students/ (1076 words)
Chronicle Report in partnership with Adobe: Read the report or watch the webinar.
- Report: Anft, M. (2020). Expanding the Digital Curriculum: How colleges are embedding high-tech skills to prepare students for tomorrow’s jobs. The Chronicle of Higher Education. https://connect.chronicle.com/rs/931-EKA-218/images/ExpandingDigitalCurriculum__InisghtsReport.final.pdf (18 pages)
- Webinar: The Right Curriculum for Digital Skills. (2021). Retrieved February 7, 2022, from https://www.chronicle.com/events/virtual/the-right-curriculum-for-digital-skills (1:07 hour)
Forbes: What the Digital Shift Means for Higher Education
Zur, R. (2021). Council Post: What The Digital Shift Means For Higher Education. Forbes. Retrieved February 7, 2022, from https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesbusinesscouncil/2021/10/06/what-the-digital-shift-means-for-higher-education/ (1095 words)
Harvard Business Review: How Higher Ed Can Prepare Students for Today’s Digital Jobs.
Craig, R. (2021, November 24). How Higher Ed Can Prepare Students for Today’s Digital Jobs. Harvard Business Review. https://login.ezproxy.stedwards.edu/login?url=https://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=bth&AN=153947946&site=ehost-live&scope=site (7 pages / 1290 words)
Group 3: Faculty Digital Competencies
Jorge-Vazquez, J., , SNL, Alonso 1, Saltos, W., & Mendoza S. (2021) Assessment of Digital Competencies of University Faculty and Their Conditioning Factors: Case Study in a Technological Adoption Context. Multidisciplinary Digital Publishing Institute https://www.mdpi.com/2227-7102/11/10/637/pdf (15 pages)
Group 4: Students Self-perception
León-Pérez, F., Bas, M.-C., & Escudero-Nahón, A. (2020). Self-Perception about Emerging Digital Skills in Higher Education Students. Comunicar: Media Education Research Journal, 28(62), 89–98. https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ1239105.pdf (10 pages)
Group 5: Literature Review on 21st-century/digital skills
van Laar, E., van Deursen, A. J., van Dijk, J. A., & de Haan, J. (2017). The relation between 21st-century skills and digital skills: A systematic literature review. Computers in Human Behavior, 72, 577–588. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2017.03.010 (12 pages)
Instructional Technology Standards for Educators
Crompton H., & Sykora, C. (2021). Developing instructional technology standards for educators: A design-based research study , Computers and Education Open, 2. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S266655732100015X?via%3Dihub
Times Higher Education website (more focused on teaching and learning online)
Bridging the digital skills gap for teaching online. (2021, March 11). THE Campus Learn, Share, Connect. https://www.timeshighereducation.com/campus/spotlight/bridging-digital-skills-gap-teaching-online
Rubric for Picking E-Learning Tools
Anstey, L., & Watson, G. (2018). A Rubric for Evaluating E-Learning Tools in Higher Education. EDUCAUSE Review. https://er.educause.edu/articles/2018/9/a-rubric-for-evaluating-e-learning-tools-in-higher-education