Internship opportunity: Urban Roots Food and Leadership Fellowship

What is Urban Roots and what do they do?
Urban Roots cultivates leadership skills through food and farming to transform the lives of young people and inspire, engage and nourish the community. They grow 25,000 lbs of produce each year by practicing sustainable agriculture and donate 40% of it to our hunger relief partners and sell the remaining 60% at the Farmers Market and various community grocery stores. Most importantly, Urban Roots creates empowering leadership opportunities for young people through various youth programs.

Interested in the Food and Leadership Fellowship?
The Fellowship is a paid leadership opportunity for young adults ages 17 to 23 to work on the Urban Roots Farm. Fellows work on a team of 10-20 Fellows and grow tons of fresh produce that we donateĀ to our hunger relief partners, farm volunteers, or sell at local farmers’ markets. In addition, Fellows lead volunteers on the farm, participate in food justice workshops, and complete 1-2 community service projects centered around food access in the Austin area. The Fall 2019 session will start on October 1st and last through December 17th. Fellows work Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 8 am to 12 pm, and earn a stipend equivalent to $10 per hour with a $100 end of season bonus.

The application deadline is September 13th, and can be foundĀ here.