Olivia Rome ’20 reflects on her internship experience

This summer I have been given the opportunity to work for the Office of Sustainability at St. Edwards University. This internship has allowed me to grow and develop many important skills in both marketing and environmental science. During my time at the office, I have created a Sustainable Office Checklist, several Instagram posts, marketed a revised battery recycling program, developed a new intern handbook, and informed the parents of our incoming freshmen of the university’s sustainability efforts during orientation events. The skills that I have developed allowed me to grow personally both inside and out of the office. Through this experience, I have been able to work hard, love what I do, and make a difference in the world of sustainability.

My favorite part about the office has been working with Sustainability Coordinator Cristina Bordin and Sustainability Communications Strategist Alex Hill. They are incredible women that have a love for their work. Through their guidance, I have learned professionalism, independence, and most importantly a deeper passion for making the world a greener place. Both Cristina and Alex are driven to make change across campus. I will always be grateful for what I have learned working for the Office of Sustainability.

There are many enjoyable aspects of the internship. Firstly, it is being able to work in such a prestigious office with incredible women. Secondly, is having the freedom to express my voice on social media and sharing my background with others. Lastly, is being able to create applicable checklists, handbooks, and programs that help both the people and the environment on campus.

Working for the Office of Sustainability has been a great blessing. I cherish everything that I have learned through this opportunity. I look forward to my last year on the Hilltop and to sharing my talents and energy with other prestigious organizations.

Story by Olivia Rome ’20