Minorities in Natural Resources Take On the Southeastern Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies Conference

I’m honored to announce that I have been selected from a pool of student applicants from around the nation to attend this year’s 68th Annual Conference of the 2014 Southeastern Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies (SEAFWA)/Minorities in Natural Resources Committee (MINRC) in Destin, Florida.  MINRC is a subcommittee of SEAFWA consisting of members from state, federal, and academia agencies, natural resource administrators, students, and professionals with the mission of expanding the representation of minorities and women in natural resource conservation.

Throughout the conference students from diverse backgrounds have had the opportunity of attending Technical Sessions in their area of interest, participate in career building student workshops and round table discussions, as well as network with fish and wildlife experts and representatives from the 15 Southeastern states. We’ve been able to share information with other students and professionals on topics relevant to seeking employment in the natural resource field. The theme for this year’s conference is “Managing for Resilience and Adaptability.” As our coastline is one of our most rapidly changing landscapes, we must work together to effectively manage and protect the most vulnerable species. Throughout the conference we have been hearing talks on how wildlife and fish managers are adapting to changing habitats, implementing new techniques and policies to improve species and habitat management, and working towards a more sustainable future in order to maintain the health of these ecosystems.

I would highly encourage students across the nation to apply for the student stipend through MINRC for the SEAFWA conference next year 2015. So far, my experience here has far exceeded my expectations. The wealth of new knowledge, contacts, and friendships I will walk away with at the end of the conference will be invaluable. Stay tuned for another blog post soon about some of my favorite talks and inspirational professionals I’ve had the opportunity to meet!

Christine Lacayo
-Sustainability Graduate Assistant