First Student Garden Fun Day

During one of my classes in the first week of classes, Environmental Science and Policy major Ashley Shaw ’13 informed us that the Students for Sustainability needed help with their ongoing garden project, and that their first Garden Work Day was to be held the following Sunday, Sept. 2. I was very interested in providing any help I could, as I love gardening. It’s always an extremely rewarding experience for me! That day after class, Ashley met me at the garden in order to show me around. Despite having severely reverted to nature over the summer break, a variety of vegetables, fruits and herbs were still thriving, and as I bent down to pull my first weed, the scents of a variety of mint pleasantly overwhelmed my senses.  After this visit, I could not help but to stop by for a short visit every day since. I was eagerly awaiting the work day to come!

When I arrived at the Garden Work Day on Sunday, Sept. 2, a variety of activities had already commenced! Everyone was hard at work in the hot sun weeding, constructing garden beds and mending fences. It was great to see so many people eager to help. I took a place working amongst the cucumber plants, organizing and weeding. A wonderful woman named Teresa was among those helping in the garden. She operates her own garden in Fredericksburg, and was offering us her expertise. For some time, she worked with Environmental Science and Policy major Caitlin Coghlan ’15 next to me and the cucumbers. Teresa was showing Caitlin some proper cultivating techniques required to grow successful, high yield tomato plants. At one point Caitlin handed me a lone, ripe cherry tomato from a plant she was working on. I ate it…it was the most flavorful tomato I had eaten in a long time! Later, I noticed that Caitlin, being the excellent leader she is, was teaching the same techniques to another student using the same enthusiasm and obvious care for her work as Teresa had shown before. I can’t wait to see what we can produce in the future with such dedicated students at work!

Towards the end of the afternoon, I stopped and noticed the immense amount of success that was achieved though the day. The garden was entirely transformed, and new garden beds were completely constructed. I staggered home covered in dirt and sun kissed from a hard afternoons work. It felt utterly fantastic. The day was rewarding in so many ways, and I’m looking forward to moving into fall. From here out, you’ll be able to find me in the garden every day possible!

To participate in the student garden, contact us on Students for Sustainability Facebook page.

Authored by Kathryn Michelle Benavidez ’15, Environmental Science and Policy major.