Social Media that helps you succeed

Network Now and Later

| 4 Comments

Wishing you had networked more during college? So did 29% of 500 recent college graduates. PR Daily posted about the staffing firm Adecco’s survey given to recent college graduates on their job searches.

Results from survey below:

Business Insider

We all do different things after college. Some go to graduate school, some move back home and try to find a job, others move to another city and try something new. Some even take a year off and travel the world. Whether you go back to school or take a year off, we all eventually want to find a job. So why not start preparing in college? Get a head start. You can network and meet people that you will make lasting connections with that will land you a job someday. Even if you plan to take a year off, at least try to network some before you graduate. You can make connections, keep in touch with them, and maybe you will have a job waiting for you after you adventure through Europe for a year. So start networking now. It will give you better chance to get a job.

I know it helped me get where I am today. If it wasn’t for networking I probably wouldn’t have a job before I graduated. I feel so lucky, but it’s because I worked hard in school, I took initiative and showed people that I was really interested in being apart of the industry. Be apart of organizations on campus that are also apart of national organizations, like PRSSA (Public Relations Student Society of America). Choose organizations that allow you to network with professionals, but also help you in school. Being apart of PRSSA has helped me be better at networking and interacting with people. It also helps that I am a Communication major and I love to interact with people.

Don’t be afraid. Put yourself out there. Take a chance. It can’t hurt to try. Once you meet one person, they know different people than you and you can meet them and the people they know. And networking is more than just finding a job, you make lasting relationships that you will keep for a lifetime. These are the people that will help you out for the rest of your life.

Use my tips from this blog post: Millennials Can Network Too and this one: Networking Your Way to a Dream Job to help yourself start networking.

4 Comments

1. Great graph to include to give students (such as myself) info about after graduation and how to better prepare for that next stage of life. (It would be helpful to make the image larger instead of having to click on it) You’re right, networking needs to be at the top of everyone’s list in order to help your chances of getting job. Look forward to reading your next post!

• Thanks amusi I appreciate the comment! Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll work on fixing that image. I agree, networking is really important and I strongly suggest starting early. It will definitely help you in the long run. Thanks for reading!

2. I also just wrote about networking, and I agree that is it so important! Especially as a student, we need to be very aware and proactive when it comes to reaching out and surrounding ourselves with people that will help us grow as professionals, and expand our horizons. I loved the graph, speaks volumes through an image.

Thanks for sharing!
    Mhairi

3. Thanks for the comment Mhairi! I completely agree. Obviously, my whole blog focuses on networking so I also find it super important. I also really enjoyed your post on networking. Lots of great info about creating a professional network.

Jordan