Winters in Texas are one of the perks of the great state. The above post was posted in light of one of our winter days. It was the decision of the University to not officially close campus due to the impending icy weather. The community reaction was not full of gratified. Students, parents, and faculty chimed in to express their discontent for the decision made. What was the root of the negativity ? Where they mad because they were scared for their safety or was it the way the post was worded? Read it and judge for yourself.  The people were most likely worried for their safety since as Texans we are not prepared for any winter situation. They way the post was worded could have bothered them. The post read to me ,” We know everything is cancelled but we want to seem like a worthy establishment that pushes through so we will not cancel classes. It may or may not be safe so decide for yourself.” Whether or not they meant it the reactions were not good. I would suggest next time they make more frequent posts so people feel like you care to keep them updated. In those posts, the focus should be on public safety concerns and decisions made based on every situation being weighed fairly. The people want to know what is going on and that you care.  There were text and emails sent out. The difference with Facebook is that it is more personal approach so it has to make that connection with the mood of the posts. My morning classes were cancelled. As a college student, I appreciated the extra time to sleep and pull myself together for the day. Also on the bright side, at least we had a little drama to excite us during this cold winter wonderland we call Austin. I will end this post with links two bloggers who posted humorous pictures documented the snow days.

Snow blog 1

Snow blog 2