Skinks

While visiting my parents in Plano over Easter break, I went hiking with my dog in Oak Point Park and Nature Preserve. I almost didn’t notice this lizard sitting on a fallen tree. Most lizards I have seen have been smaller than my hand but this lizard was gigantic compared to all the other lizards I have seen. It was about 7 inches long and had I not seen its feet I would have thought it was a small snake. In fact, when I uploaded this picture to iNaturalist asking for ID recommendations many people thought it was a snake, so I noted that you could see its feet if you zoomed in the picture. Finally, I got suggestions that it was a skink. Skinks belong to the family Scincidae, which is one of the most diverse families of lizards with over 1,500 different species. Skinks have no pronounced neck, long bodies, and short legs. Some skinks don’t even have any legs at all making them even harder to distinguish from snakes. After I snapped its picture it scurried away, its movement resembling a snake more than a lizard, and hid under a pile of leaves.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/5916017