Bluebonnet

Ah, the Lupinus texensis— better known as the Texas bluebonnet. These beautiful flowers grow in vast quantities around the St. Edward’s campus, particularly on the hill behind Teresa Hall. This spot is usually flooded this time of year with people from all around snapping photographs of their families or prom groups, surrounded by beds of bluebonnets as far as the eye can see.

Growing up in Texas, I’ve always had an appreciation for these beauties, given that they’re state flower (hence the scientific name). I remember countless elementary school projects involving bluebonnets. I also remember a vividly upsetting memory from my elementary school years: I was watching a man cutting the grass in one of ride-along lawnmowers, when he approached a patch of the beautiful flowers. Without a moment’s hesitation, he plowed right through them.

More recently, I found out that picking bluebonnets is actually not illegal in Texas (contrary to what they taught us in elementary school). So, even though the man in the lawnmower destroyed a beautiful patch of Texas’ state flower, it technically wasn’t illegal. I still should have reported him.

iNaturalist Observation:

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/5434115