Conservation and Ecology|Human Interaction|February 2016- Castellanos

Castellanos- February

Throughout the month of February there was multiple times in which I ventured on into the nearby Blunn Creek. Even though I frequently attended the creek it would surprise me with its beauty. What attracts me about Blunn Creek is its location I find its surroundings extremely interesting.  It seems to be in the middle of a neighborhood and relatively close to an elementary school. Being surrounded by human interaction it still flourishes with a variety of native plant species as well as animals. In one of the outings as I was entering the nature preserve the noise of a lawnmower was very distinct and close by, I couldn’t help but wonder the impact that its location and human interaction can play on the nature preserve itself. As I continued walking through the trail I noticed the familiar plant species but as I got deeper into the trail I couldn’t help but notice foreign objects such as trash among other things I wondered about what could be done in order to prevent the accumulation of trash.

Walking through the trail I noticed there were empty spaces here and there that were purposely cleared to reduce the amount of invasive species in the area. From all the greenery I found a plant that caught my attention it wasn’t tall more like a bush and it had some small red spheres that looked like berries. I found it could potentially be Bush honeysuckle that is an invasive shrub. It contains red berries that attract birds and allows for their seeds to be dispersed. However, this plant is not one of which Austin Parks and Recreation wants to get rid of.  Chinaberry, and the Japanese privet are invasive species that aid loss of local biodiversity, they prevent other native species from spreading. The invasive species create competition with native species and are unable to regulate their populations. Native species are not prone to checks and balances which lead to the deterioration of natural ecology and a reduction healthy diversity. Be sure to click on the active links for more information on the topics being discussed. Blunn Creek Invasive Species

Photos-008-150x150

At first it was hard for me to find a true motive to remove a large amount of plants. I felt that native species were in some form necessary and the impact that they had was merely noticeable however it seems that there are vast benefits to keeping solely native species. Native species don’t need much maintenance and can sustain more wildlife. Native species have the adequate qualities to flourish in the climate they have adapted to and can prevent ecological damage from invasive species. Click the active link for more information regarding the Blunn Creek Removal of Invasive Species.

Snapchat--1785954145472093397 (1)

Blunn Creek Trail

As I sat next to the creek just observing and listening I realized that my favorite part of the preserve was the creek itself after all, the creek is what made it all beautiful. I have always been fascinated by water specifically one that is naturally found and not one that comes out of a faucet. I find the role of water on earth fascinating the amount of life that it is capable of sustaining on Earth is incredible. However, there is more to it than H2O, there are many microscopic organisms living in it as well as a variety of chemicals. Observing the water flow gracefully had me questioning what it contains and what different factors could play a role in the content and characteristics of the water. I observed algae in the water and asked myself it this could be a result of fertilizers nearby or perhaps something occurring more naturally. I find it important for water to be analyzed it is what maintains life on this earth, humans are 60% water.

After observing the flow of water at Blunn Creek I was interested in knowing if there was any action taking place by the local community in preserving and maintaining the creek.  I went online and tried to find anything in regards to conserving water sources in Austin. Surprisingly I found an article discussing how active citizens worried about water depletion and pollution from the nearby construction of a Walmart supercenter. The South River City Citizens managed to negotiate an a agreement with Walmart to implement  detailed features such as permeable concrete, curb cuts for stormwater, as well as other sustainable stormwater infrastructure.  The article goes on discussing the problem that Austin faces with flash flooding which can lead to pollution and sediment build up in creeks such as Blunn Creek.  Local  Citizen Action for Blunn Creek.

Not only did I visit Blunn Creek I also went on an outing at Williamson Creek which tends to be prone to flooding. It was definitely a nice area to visit and observe. Unlike Blunn Creek, Williamson Creek had tall trees which didn’t not have much leaves if any at all. High above you would hear screeching and the clashing of branches high above approximately between 20 to 30 feet in the air. It was not very a pleasant sound it felt as though you could be hit by a falling branch that easily swayed back and forth.  It was about 50 feet to reach the creek. I noticed lots of trash stuck on branches there was a variety of trash everywhere. I came across with large glass bottles, pieces of carpet, clothing, even a volleyball. I couldn’t help but ask myself why there was so much trash and uncommon objects. I decided to look into the potential reasons as to why these random objects are in such close proximity to the creek. I started off going online and simply typing Williamson Creek on the search engine and came across my answer fairly easily. Williamson Creek is extremely susceptible to flooding which has caused such a large amount of damage that the City of Austin has implemented a buyout program. Williamson Creek Buyout.

Map of Williamson Creek project area

The flooding on the creek does not only damage nearby houses it also greatly affect the creek. When the water level arises rapidly it washes up trash from the neighboring houses and facilities around the creek. The buyout program will help conserve the creek and reduce the amount of people affected by the flooding that has been occurring for decades. The buyout plan adopted by the City of Austin has raised lots of controversy some residents find it hard to leave their homes while others patiently wait for their homes to be bought out. Austin City Council and Williamson Creek Buyout.

“Thousands have lived without love, not one without water” –W.H. Auden

References 

“Blunn Creek.” Blunn Creek. Austintexas.gov, 14 Feb. 2013. Web. 29 Feb. 2016.

BLUNN CREEK DELTA (n.d.): 1-24. July 2014. Web. 29 Feb. 2016.

“Blunn Creek Restoration Project: A Unique Partnership for an Urban Preserve | Landmark Wildlife Management.” Landmark Wildlife Management Blunn Creek Restoration Project Comments.           N.p., n.d. Web. 29 Feb. 2016.

Harper, Karen Brooks. “How a Band of Austin Activists Convinced Walmart to Care About a Creek – Next City.” How a Band of Austin Activists Convinced Walmart to Care About a Creek – Next            City. N.p., 8 Oct. 2014. Web. 29 Feb. 2016.

Rockwell, Lilly. “Austin City Council Moves Ahead with Williamson Creek Buyouts — for Some.” MyStatesman. N.p., 4 June 2015. Web. 29 Feb. 2016.

“Williamson Creek Flooding.” Austintexas.gov. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 Feb. 2016.