Zambrano, Last Post

Zilker Park, Second Visit

I remember my first blog entry. I wrote about a specific spot in Zilker park which was full of trash and broken glass. It never occurred to me that it was kind of immature of me to document all the mess and complain about it but at the same time not do anything about it. Is that the type of person I am?

1

So I came back. The image above is the before picture, full of cigarette butts, broken glass, and other pieces of trash. It took me less than fifteen minutes to find a decent container (an abandoned old cap) and clean the area.

2

The results were not impressive or in any way special, but I did feel good about myself. I probably only cleaned the cigarette butts of twenty careless people, but if other people are inspired to do the same, then much larger results can be achieved. People should talk less and do more.

3

“We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations the important thing is not to achieve, but to strive.” – Aldo Leopold