February, Bahneman

Blunn CreekAfter visiting my usual spot in Blunn Creek this month, it seems many things have stayed relatively the same. The creek level seems the same, despite the walking trail looking like it had been washed out by recent rain. Like in January, there was still a swarm of insects, but this time I noticed that they were mosquitos, not just gnats. I was surprised by the amount of mosquitos, despite the colder temperatures. I didn’t make it to Blunn Creek on one of the freezing days (in the 40s or lower), but wonder if temperature has anything to do with how many mosquitos are present. One other thing that seemed to be about the same was the amount of algae present in the water. Throughout the coming months, it will be interesting to see what warmer temperatures will bring. One of the most significant things I noticed this month is that the orange much present in the water last month was no longer there. It will be interesting to see if it ever returns.

As far as wildlife, I did not see the minnows in the water this time, and again didn’t hear many birds, but did hear one with a high-pitched chirp.

“The culture of primitive peoples is often based on wildlife…In civilized peoples the cultural base shifts elsewhere, but the culture nevertheless retains part of its wild roots.” –Aldo Leopold, Sand County Almanac, pg. 177

I chose this quote because of what Blunn Creek is for the surrounding the community. While being a nature preserve, it is common to see people hiking or jogging through. Despite its proximity to housing, a university, and a major highway system, which can always be heard from inside the preserve, Blunn Creek serves as a natural escape for those who come to get lost in its trails.