Leib Nov.

A Sand County Almanac: “Examine each question in terms of what is ethically and aesthetically right, as well as what is economically expedient. A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise” -Aldo Leopold
Climate Change: Over the past three months I have observed changes at Zilker, but it is not enough time to determine the adverse effects of climate change. However, I do feel that Zilker will be in danger of climate change effects when the trees start dying, the soil starts eroding, and the creeks/rivers start going dry. Zilker gives me a sense of how nature should be preserved, but if we cannot halt climate change then future generations will not be able to appreciate the natural beauty.

Pollution: We studied a lot about pollution and reducing our ecological footprints. I believe that more land should be set aside, like Zilker Park, because we can’t deteriorate the landscape. If more cities disallowed land to be built on or stripped for resources then globally we could ease our vast ecological footprint. Now it’s your turn! Estimate your ecological footprint:

It’s a Community Effort to Reduce Pollution

Biodiversity: This past week at Zilker Park I really started observing the wildlife. It’s hard to see the different kinds of bugs and animals that inhabit this park until you get closer to the trees and lake. I am not an expert, but I saw a variety of birds, butterflies, grasshoppers, swans, and a few squirrels. There is a lot of biodiversity in this park, but if we continue to pollute the environment and build near the habitats then we are forcing animals to fight for scarce resources. This class has opened my eyes to the true nature of human caused problems. I hope that Zilker Park remains unchanged because it adds character to Austin and is a great place to hangout.

The most important concept that I connected between Zilker and class is that if we want to maintain the principles of sustainability (nutrient cycling, biodiversity, solar energy) then we have to follow the environmental world views (planetary management, stewardship, and environmental wisdom).