Hernandez March 2015

“To those devoid of imagination a blank place on the map is a useless waste; to others, the most valuable part.”
― Aldo Leopold

Bluebonnet

On March 4th I was hanging out at Bauerle Ranch a beautiful spring morning. It was slightly drizzling and kinda humid. The bluebonnets where starting to appear and the flowering trees and bushes where blooming. The trees also had a lot of lichen on them and I just learned that lichen is really sensitive to pollutants and is a form of bio indicators of the ecosystems health. I also was taking a picture of the raindrop,yet the small lake was still dry. There was also a spider on a tree that blended into the background

Lichen on twig

.

Lindshire Park 

On March 9th I was hanging out with my brother in Bauerle Ranch and was going through the brush. It was a partly sunny. There was a spider who had set up a trap within the log. I found a bone from an unidentified source on the ground. I also saw some deer crossing the street I was going over to the park. This part of the park was more grassland but also some woodland as well.

On March 16th me and my sister went to Lindshire Park (aka the duck pond) that is close to our house. Its a small pond with a variety of different ducks.There are also turtles and squirrels who live in the park as well. I also think  are fish since I saw somebody fishing. Its a really nice place to go and just relax.

Urban wildlife

On March 31st I went to Zilker Park which is an urban oasis amongst a hectic world. It was such a peaceful and relaxing place to be. It was a hot day with temperatures up to 81 degrees though as you got closer to Barton Creek River it became cooler, and it was a relief. The wildlife mostly consisted of urban wildlife such as squirrels and crows. Though because the water is so clear you can see aquatic life such as fish and algae. There was also a lot of invasive species such a ligustrum and ivy, yet there were plenty of native plants as well. I also came upon the the Sunken Garden Hills which is spring that is a federally protected land. We talked about anemic species in class meaning that a certain species lives only in one place in the whole world this is one of those places which is the home of the Barton Creek Salamander.