Machado, March

Spring in Austin, TX is one of the most beautiful times of year; the trees change to bright colors, bluebonnets begin blooming, and the warm sun makes it irresistible to be outside. This Spring Break, I visited Enchanted Rock State Natural Area and hiked the Summit Trail that climbs 425 feet in 0.6 miles. Approaching 5 p.m. on March 19th, it was about 78 degrees but foggy, the perfect conditions for a hike.

As I began the trek up the Summit Trail, I spotted many families, couples and individuals resting at different stopping points along the trail, while some were either hiking up or getting ready to come down.

The starting point of the trail contained lots of visible greenery, for example, moss and cacti. There were sparse trees in the nearby area, but a vast amount could be seen in the distance. The rock beneath me was multicolored in brown hues, and dry in most spots. Most of the hike consisted of climbing flat, bare rock that contained only narrow cracks of green moss that spread in every direction.

About halfway up the rock, I turned around to appreciate the incredible view that made me feel so small in the world. The massive amount of trees that could be seen in the distance, along with the placement of the clouds in the sky made me want to keep climbing to the top to reach an even more impressive view.

The top of the rock consisted of a wider, more expansive area than I had expected. But I could feel a sense of solitude at the top of this rock, despite the fact that I could hear people’s conversations in the background of the silence.

“There are degrees and kinds of solitude. An island in a lake has one kind; but lakes have boats, and there is always the chance that one might land to pay you a visit. A peak in the clouds has another kind; but most peaks have trails, and trails have tourists.” (25)

This quote from Aldo Leopold accurately describes the impact of humans’ footprint on nature preserves and trails. I notice that I feel peaceful when in the outdoors, but sometimes I wonder what the trails would look like if they had endured no human interactions or modifications.

I laid down at the top of the rock and gazed at the clouds in the sky because at that point, I was not stressed or worried about anything. I have noticed that spending time in nature reduces my stress levels significantly if I spend at least an hour simply appreciating my surroundings. Especially in the warm spring weather, I always try to find new ways to explore nature and the outdoors because it’s one of the few things that can’t simply be done from the Internet.

IMG_0581 IMG_0582

As I made my final descend from the rock, I noticed that there were many small, shallow pools of water going down the trail. These divots in the rock have collected rainwater and created these mini ecosystems that give life to this massive, dry rock. The sunlight reflecting on these pools of water created a stunning view of the downhill trail, making me not want to leave.

I couldn’t believe the time that had passed by the time I got back to the bottom of the trail. Exploring the rock and experiencing the view at the top of the trail was unforgettable and I can’t wait for my next visit.