Vargas February 2015

Nature has its own unique way of adapting and balancing itself into a way that keeps everything in check. From the animals in the trees to the plants low on the ground to the tiny microbes thriving in the soil, everything works together to create an ecosystem that is dependent on each other. At Mayfield Nature Preserve there was a perfect sense of authentic, native Austin wildlife but also integration probably meant for tourism but lovely and magnificent nonetheless. When I first arrived at Mayfield I had a little bit of university induced stress so I was hoping that my experience would soothe my soul and I was not disappointed. This past month had been chilly so I went on a day that wasn’t too cold so I would be able to see nature at a good time. The greenery was still vivid despite the weather and I was faced with only a medium breeze. The main house based in the preserve is where I was taken aback by the diversity. There were every shade of green and a single path leading to several adventurous trails for curious minds and hearts. The flora and fauna were fundamentally happy. The sun was shining and all things biotic appreciated the break from the ridged weather. Birds were chirping, singing for the sun and the plants were dancing for the same reason. The scene was so beautiful I had forgotten that a road was not too far away and I was smack center in the hub of Texas itself. Nature blooms in the strangest of ways. All these native beings were happy but even some introduced individuals had their way of thriving in Austin, Texas. As I continued walking I noticed a large moving animal on the roof of the main house. I thought it was a dog, too large to be a cat, and to my surprise it was a hefty bird. One more bird appeared then I noticed three, five, until I was able to count a dozen of them. They were not just any big bird; they were none other than the impressive peacocks. I had never been so close to one of these glorious creatures. The iridescent shine in the males’ feathers reflected the light in a way that I was had to pause and relish in the sight. Bold and daring, these creatures climbed the great height of the roof and kept climbing up the nearby trees.

Mayfield Nature Preserve

I even had the pleasure of watching a male do a little show but to his dismay, the female he was trying to impress had seen better days. Animal behavior has always interested me and to have seen such an instinctive act crafted by time and selection play out right in front of me clearly made my day. By this time I had forgotten the causes of my stress and dwelled in the unexpected beauty I witnessed. After walking around I decided to sit at a stone ledge and doodle. I was inspired by the small creek below where I was seated. The sleeping creek intertwined with rocks, debris, and the tall towering trees. That side of the preserve was more affected by the weather but was peaceful nonetheless. It looked dormant rather than dead, waiting to be awoken by lovelier days. However, the cycle of life was evident in the growing trees, shedding leaves, and even the precarious fallen life all of which was going back to serve another who will do the same when it has fallen. It was a profound experience. All things purely were, it was complex yet simple but nothing needed to be dissected or “figured out”. A wondrous scene was playing right in front of me and a complete appreciation was formed.
This quote by Aldo Leopold describes it best- “The physics of beauty is one department of natural science still in the Dark Ages. Not even the manipulators of bent space have tried to solve its equations.”
My stress level definitely declined by the time my visit at Mayfield was over and it seemed that all was right in the world.