Cason, Februrary 2015

Wild Basin Nature Preserve, North of the Capital of Texas Highway, offers non-stop adventure with an abundance of plant and wildlife, breathtaking views, and a chance to detox from the stress of daily routines. On arrival, one is immediately taken in by the colorful scenery which leads to a bridge that marks the entrance to the awaited adventure. My friends and I went on a Friday afternoon, after our last class; a great way to start the weekend and relieve some stress. During the first few feet, a variety of plant life was already noticeable, including a newly growing Quercus viginiana, also known as Live Oak, producing new, shiny green leaves. Live Oak trees are common in the US; providing homes to birds and squirrels and creating shade for those hot Texas days. Also among the green landscape were the striking red berries of the native Possumhaw Holly tree; bare branches in the winter with showy red fruit that will persist unless eaten by the birds. The Holly tree adds variety to the basin;  its lush red color a perfect accent for the month of February. The diversity seen throughout the preserve is remarkable; not to mention the respect from its visitors that keep it trash free and [conserve the] state of harmony between men and land (Aldo Leopold).

If you’re like me and decide to explore off the trails, you will notice a dramatic change in the landscape. The transition from smooth gravel and short grass to large rocks with wet moss in high grass is an indication that land formation has changed, and that the preserves water source is near. Diverging deeper into the basin the peaceful sound of running water will float through your ears, calling to you–life’s necessity. There, at the pit of the basin, the most beautiful feature it offers lays– a captivating babbling brook and all that it provides for the preserve. A habitat for fish, amphibians, mammals, and reptiles, the stream delivers its natural resource and serves as a major role in the basins ecosystem. Follow the stream, and you will come across a hidden treasure. Draping down the landscape like satin curtains drops a waterfall; enriched with deep blue water that topples over forest green moss; absolutely beautiful. It is here, in this secret lagoon, where I really felt one with nature.  The smell of clean air, the peaceful sound of running water and the beauty of nature before my eyes led me to the present moment, calming my mind and engaging my spirit. My stress level dramatically dropped and I felt carefree and happy to be alive; embracing my unity with nature.

Wild Basin is the perfect outdoor adventure for friends and family and a wonderful way to relax, reflect, and come into the present moment with nature. Moreover, Wild Basin is a great place for a picnic with your crush, or a romantic hike ending with a beautiful sunset! After all, it is the month of love, why not incorporate your love for nature while you’re at it!

IMG_0192[1]