Ellis Island

Ellis Island Immigration Lesson

Grade: 3rd

Content: Social Studies

TEKS: 113.16(b)(13)(C)
(13)Economics. The student understands patterns of work and economic activities in the United States. The student is expected to:
(C) analyze the effects of immigration, migration, and limited resources on the economic development and growth of the United States.

http://teacher.scholastic.com/activities/immigration/tour/

Title: Interactive Tour of Ellis Island

Author: Scholastic

Summary: This is an interactive tour of Ellis Island. The students can follow the steps of the immigrants. There are 10 stops: first the boat that brought the immigrants from the country to Ellis Island, second the arrival of the boat where the statue of liberty greeted the immigrants, third the baggage room where their items were checked, fourth the stairs where the immigration process started, fifth the registry room where people waited to get inspected, sixth the medical exam, seventh the legal inspection where they were asked 29 questions and had to get each right, eighth was for some people who were detained due to failed medical exam etc., ninth the stairs of separation were the filed out to their final destination, finally the kissing post where families were reunited and enter the United States. Throughout the tour the students can hear stories, see historical films and photos, read facts and learn how Ellis Island played in the story of American immigration.

Instructional strategy: One idea I have is to have students in groups take the tour. Then assign groups a specific point on the map and have them research in depth what happened at that check point including stories, pictures, films have the students create a presentation about their point. Then present their project to the class after we would have a discussion.

Another idea I had was as the students went through the interactive map have them take notes of what happened at each stop then as a class we would create a simulation in the classroom designating parts of the classroom as each check point. Then have students pick between working as an American at a station and acting as an immigrant. If they choose to be an American they would research what happened at that point and create a script. The students who choose immigrants would research the heritage, culture etc. of people who came to America and ‘become’ that person. I would choose some student immigrants to be healthy or unhealthy, if they were unhealthy I would provide them with the disease/sickness and some information on that sickness. Once it was time to do the simulation the students would play out what happened at Ellis Island. After the simulation we would have a discussion.

Published by

aruiz8

EC-6 Education Major, Psychology minor.

3 thoughts on “Ellis Island”

1. I really loved this presentation on Ellis Island, and this book seems very interesting! The way that you summarized it and described activities that could be used with this text I really would like to look into reading this book and using it in my classroom someday. I think that you chose a very appropriate book for the Texas education system because we are so close to the border that we deal with immigration and cultural diversity. I definitely think that its important for all students, especially those in Texas, to learn the facts about immigration. I believe that this an important and relevant topic, now a days, for students to have a thorough knowledge about. I know that immigration is an important topic for students to be informed about in Texas schools, so I wonder what topics do schools in other states find relevant? I think that it is important to keep lessons and information relevant and meaningful to students, but I am not sure how relevant immigration is to schools in states in the central U.S. the way it is for students in the north and south.

1. Stephanie it’s not a book though. It’s a website that has an interactive map. Sorry for the mix up!

2. I really love this interactive website. I can imagine 3rd graders really enjoying their exploration of it. I think it is so important for students to understand the importance of Ellis Island. This project might also have students question their own family history and they may even discover that their family was one of the thousands of families to arrive in New York. I like your second activity much more. I love that the students would be acting out or simulating each check point. This activity also gives the students different points of view. I think activity could be really fun. I would even have the students develop their character and create a costume. Afterwards, you could have students from both groups talk about their experience and if they learned anything new about immigrants and Americans.