3 thoughts on “James Marshall”

1. I think James Marshall’s books can be used in many different ways. Since his stories contain lessons, teachers could use them to teach different morals and values. His artwork is also very interesting. It’s simple, yet enough to support the story. Although the pages don’t have a lot of text, it might be difficult for young readers due to the language.

2. I remember reading a couple of the George and Martha books when I was in school, but I don’t remember them ever being read aloud. I guess I somehow stumbled upon them in the school library. From your PowerPoint, I get the impression that James Marshall is an author whose simple yet elegant style of writing would be quite beneficial to younger students. I love books which contain life lessons and add humor. I know the classroom uses you suggest would work out really well because children love being read to. The fact that James Marshall is both an author and illustrator would make an interesting book flood because students would get to see two different aspects to his work. Going off from this, you could also have students write their own story which teaches a life lesson and have them illustrate it and “publish” it once it’s finished. I’d like to look into more of Marshall’s books and see if there’s anything that is appropriate for older elementary students as well.