Jason Chin

Jason Chin is an author and illustrator who just loves nature and wildlife. He has written three of his own books, but has illustrated for a total of seven. Chin incorporates factual information in his stories while doing some story telling as well. His books are easy to read and when new vocabulary is introduced, Chin offers an explanation of the word. His most recent book Island has won the 2013 Gryphon Award for Children’s Literature and was also considered to be one of the top twenty children’s books of 2012 by School Library Journal. His books Redwoods and Coral Reefs have also received starred reviews from Horn Book, Booklist, Publisher’s Weekly, and Kirkus Reviews. Jason Chin is definitely an author you will want to share in your classroom!

2 thoughts on “Jason Chin”

1. I love the two shots of his illustration that you shared, they’re so vivid and entrancing! I think his illustrations would be a great way to capture students’ attention even if they aren’t typically interested in science. I really like your idea to have students write their own non-fiction story about something in nature. This type of writing allows for freedom, but still relates it to the overall science theme and incorporates literature through using Chin’s works as an example. It also allows for students to relate their writing to something they’re interested in and possibly something that they’ve seen first-hand. I also like the idea of having students paint something using Jason Chin’s style; it gives the artistic students an assignment that they will be confident in and giving less artistic students a way to explore with painting, but they have a style to base it on and aren’t having to be completely uncertain. I think you did a great job on your research and thinking in your presentation!

2. The illustrations were amazing! They catch the readers attention and if you were too pick one of his book off the shelves the pictures would make you want to check it out. The connect that he makes between nature, wildlife and science through literature (poems?) is important. Most students find science boring I think using Jason Chin as an introduction would draw students into the lesson. Like you said using his books as a part of a science lesson could give the illustrations meaning students can compare reality with fantasy. Through you’re presentation I have learned that I want to buy some of Jason Chin’s work and display in my classroom. I liked that you embedded his website for future reference. It also is a great resource to have. Overall great presentation although I would like to know more about his writerly techniques. GO MEREDITH!