Aileen Fisher

Aileen Fisher has over 100 award winning books. She had a passion for Children’s literature, and was quoted as saying “My first and chief love in writing is writing children’s verse.” She has written a variety of books in a number of different genres that have to do with seasons, nature, animals, celebrations, famous people, and biblical stories. She was raised in a small town in Michigan, but moved to Boulder, CO when she was an adult and lived there the rest of her adult life where she wrote most of her books. As the author of several books of different genres, Aileen Fisher’s work can be applied to many different lessons in the classroom. One such lesson, can involve a read aloud of one of her poems about the seasons when introducing the seasons to a Kindergarten class. Another such lesson, could incorporate a poem or book about a animal and its characteristics to a 1st grade class. Many of her books can be applied to several different content areas and TEKS; consequently, the variety of her writings are very useful in the classroom because they are adaptable to the different lessons taught throughout the school year. Aileen Fisher also uses “writerly techniques” such as imagery, personification, metaphors, and similies within most of her writings, which are important lessons in early childhood literacy.

2 thoughts on “Aileen Fisher”

1. What a cute little old lady! I liked that she was able to write in different genres, it shows her skills and ability to interweave the genres and make her writing interesting. I would have liked to have seen examples of her writerly techniques. I like the fact that there’s many different ways to use her books in the classroom. by reading the titles of her books I know I would like to have some in my collection, I’m a sucker for cats! I also liked how her books can be used in different grade levels and subjects. Overall a great presentation. GO STEPHANIE!

2. This was very interesting. I have never heard of Aileen Fisher before. I really like that she is capable of writing about a number of different topics. She would be a great poet to use during science lessons with young students. I think I would understand her writing more if I could read some of her work. Over all I really liked the presentation. And am very interested in Feathered Ones and Furry. She seems to be a fellow cat-lady 🙂