Diary Of A Worm

Diary of A Worm, By Doreen Cronin
Published in 2003

”March 20:
Mom says there are three things I should always remember:
1. The earth gives us everything we need.
2. When we dig tunnels, we help take care of the earth.
3. Never bother Daddy when he’s eating the newspaper.

March 29:
Today I tried to teach Spider how to dig. First all of his legs got stuck. Then he swallowed a bunch of dirt. Tomorrow he’s going to teach me how to walk upside down!

March 30:
Worms cannot walk upside down. “

I choose this book because I think it would a fun and interesting read in an early elementary classroom. The author is great, and has many more books that are silly and funny, such as “Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type” and “Diary of a Spider”. For that reason, I think this book would be a good way to introduce students to this author. Another reason I think this is a good read is because it can teach students about worms, and what makes them different from other creatures. It helps to highlight the differences in a funny way. It also teaches students about worms in general, and how their function. I think the layout of the book is relateable to children, because it is in the form of a diary, which many children may have. All in all, I think this is a funny, cute book that can introduce students to the works of an author and also be a good topical read, when learning about worms or insects.