Mini Unit: Timeline

Grade: 2nd

Content Area: Social Studies

TEKS: (2) History. The student understands the concepts of time and chronology. The student is expected to: (B) apply vocabulary related to chronology, including past, present, and future. (C) create and interpret timelines for events in the past and present.

Link: How to Make a Timeline

Summary: This “How To” article provides great step by step instructions to help students create their own timeline. It can be a great instructional tool for teachers who can then guide students through the steps. However, if you want students to create a timeline as a “home” project, this is a great instructional tool for parents as well. It provides detailed yet easy to follow instructions.

Instructional Strategy: Students will have learned the terms past, presents, and future and would have explored a variety  of text where they can see these terms put to use. Once students have grasped an understanding of the terms they will move into understanding and interpreting timelines. Students will be given the opportunity to create their own timeline about their life. This will be started in class and taken home to finish with their parents/guardians. This is a great way for students to practice speaking in front of the class as they present their timelines. It is also a great way for students to learn and get to know their classmates.

2 thoughts on “Mini Unit: Timeline”

1. I thought that your choice of using a timeline was very refreshing given that I had not considered until just now. I also liked that the article was very straight and to the point which would make it easier for students to follow. I also think that it would be a great idea to implement this lesson at the beginning of the year, maybe to get to know the students and establish a positive learning environment where they all get to know each other.

2. I enjoyed the Civil Rights timleine very much! It was a very interesting project and since I didn’t know too much about what really happen back in the 1920 s-1960 s, I learned new facts about what took place. I found very graphic images and information which was devastating and heart-breaking to look at, but discovered the way of segregation. From this project, I had seen how poorly African Americans had been treated. Thanks to all the HEROES who had spoke up then and tried to make a difference in the world. Because, if they did not it would of taken much longer for the Civil Rights Movement to finally come to an end. Today, Americans and different races all over the country can come together as one and respect the differences in each other.