Mini Unit: Moon Globe App

Moon Globe is an iPad application by Midnight Martian that allows students to explore the moon in a three dimensional, interactive way that incorporates both text and visuals. Student’s can choose to view the moon from either a globe or telescope perspective and have the ability to zoom in and closely observe the surface of the moon. This app also includes the option to label spacecraft landing sites or craters for further extension.

Moon Globe would serve as an excellent text to introduce the moon, specifically it’s physical appearance, to second grade students.  The application addresses TEKS 112.13.8D, which state “Earth and Space. The student knows that there are recognizable patterns in the natural world and among objects in the sky. The student is expected to: Observe, describe and record patterns of objects in the sky, including the appearance of the moon.”

I would use a KWL chart to support learning through this application. A KWL chart would allow students to reflect on what they already know about the moon and what they would like to learn about the moon before using the app. Students would then explore the app with a partner for a set time limit and write down what they learned afterwards. The chart as a whole would help me to asses student knowledge before moving into the rest of the unit, while the “What I Learned” section of the chart will help me to better understand whether Moon Globe is an effective teaching tool.

One thought on “Mini Unit: Moon Globe App”

1. I thought this was a really great idea! I never thought to use an app like this to start a unit or explore the moon. I think it would be very useful for students to be able to see and explore the moon. It is much better than showing a video of the moon in my opinion! Its the closest things students can get, with their own manipulation, to the moon!