VISU-1100-01 Blog Post 12

Part 1:

Kim Garza was the graphic design presenter–of course, but I wasn’t so interested in her work so much. The idea that graphic design is an investment into liberal arts for life was very interesting to me–the idea that you’re constantly learning about other filed is interesting, that is. But I really was rocked to sleep by her work. Perhaps I didn’t get enough sleep (but that’s not the point). I suppose I really appreciate more dynamic graphic work but the repetition of the film and music really bored me.

Ms. Tammie Ruben, the sculptor, really interested me. She really demanded my attention. I really enjoyed listening to the way she viewed the way she grew up and the reasoning behind how that effected her work. Her move and my move from our hometowns did put into perspective the way we view nature and I dig that, even though the outcomes of our mindsets are opposite. And even though I do not plan to have showcases of sculpture work, I really got interested in this medium.

James Lanshuren’s work seemed almost mundane but I really enjoyed that. I like the idea of finding beauty in everyday life and forced perspective and the idea of finding beauty in fault. His photos were really funny in some sense and the situations that caused the circumstances were really interesting to hear about. The quote “having been there”, the tense of photography, really captures his work, and I enjoyed that.

Part 2:

I really enjoyed this seminar. I really felt on fire after almost every class to dive into my field even further: get internships, do some outside work, get a job. I felt like i got a better grasp of what I want to do career wise. The only critique i have about the class is its length. I feels so long and it’s on a Monday at the end of the day.