End Term Assessment

Before taking this class I had already taken a typography class before, but before that I had no experience studying typefaces. From that other class I had learned some basic things about typefaces, like san serifs and counters. I also learned a little bit about the placement of typography on a page from our last assignment of the year, but feel that it was pretty basic, especially looking back now with what I have learned since then. Overall I feel I had a very basic introduction on what typography is and how it is used in the real world.

This class greatly expanded my knowledge on typography, as I feel that when I after my first typography class, I still did not know much about how to effectively use typography and space in my work, whereas now with this class I have been forced to pay special attention to these things if I want my work to succeed. With this class I have learned how to think about not only the typeface I use but the colors within each typeface and the positioning of all these on the page and how this creates a hierarchy among the things being presented.

I really enjoyed the feedback that I got from Tuan during the year. Even though I was behind on some of the work at some points of the year, I still felt that Tuan was understanding and didn’t harass and criticize, but instead just expected you to catch up and be responsible, which I really appreciated. The feedback he gave was also helpful in that it made us think about why we chose to do what we did, and he made us defend our choices to him, which forced us to have more conviction in our work.

I still feel that I don’t see all of “it” but I feel that with more time and practice I will be able to see “it” more and more clearly. I think I have begun to look at my work more critically when I’m in Tuan’s classes, and I find myself why am I making choice, and other questions I think Tuan would ask me. I feel that this is helping me see “it” more and more with every piece I work on.

I feel like I always asked a question when Tuan was at my side of the room just because I enjoyed his input and I knew that there was always something I could work on and that I was missing in my work. Again I was always happy with the answers I got and always appreciated the feedback Tuan would give me.

I feel like my practice time wavers from week to week, but I do think if I fall behind one week I put in the effort to catch back up the next week. Overall I think I just need to be more consistent with the time I spend working. I do think I am getting enough feedback again as I feel that Tuan and my other classmates are always willing to share some advice on what isn’t working or what needs improvement. I was also always at class crits to help give back some of that advice, and I really hope I was able to help the others in the same way that they had helped me. I wasn’t always at desk crits, but the ones I missed were during one of the three days that I was sick and didn’t come to class. Though I did come to class some days I was sick, like when I drank bad milk and was in the bathroom a lot.

I do feel that my life has been in order for the most part during this semester. There were some hard times during the year but I feel that it did not really affect my work and I made an effort to be at as many classes I could, though I do wish more students showed up to crits to offer a larger variety of feedback.
I really enjoyed this class, as I really enjoy my classes with Tuan. As for making it more creative and fun, the only thing that I feel people would complain about the class was that it was so early in the morning, otherwise I don’t know what else could be done to improve it. I overall really enjoyed the atmosphere that existed during work and crits and hope to take another class with Tuan again soon.