0

The Heartbeat of Texas

Written by: Joshua Turner

I scan my credentials and the hum of the gates opening seems to shake the ground my truck patiently sits on. I wave at the attendant and like a coal miner, I begin my descent into the dimly lit, mostly unknown depths of our state’s capitol. I reach the second floor and sharply turn into the garage where I have been given a conveniently located parking spot by the elevator that will bring me to the ornate, meticulously maintained Texas State Capitol annex building. This portion of our State’s Capitol also resides just below the hustle and bustle at street level. From there, I shoot up one more floor and hear the familiar sounds of the metal detectors and the credential readers.

I unlock my office door located at “1N.12” and immediately get to work. My role at this immense, historic building is that of a Legislative Aide for the Office of Representative Jim Murphy. My role within the office varies from day to day. I provide administrative support to operations within the office. This can include opening and processing mail, receiving phone calls from constituents, and professional/personal letter writing.

Most days, my interpersonal communication skills are put to the test. I can honestly say that this aspect of the job surprised me. I wasn’t aware that there was such an available method of connecting with your State Representative. In my mind, elected officials were unreachable and only concerned with nurturing communication with constituents around election time. However, I have come to find out that is not the case. In fact, I field multiple phone calls and countless emails daily from constituents with concerns that are top priority. I have had the privilege to assist fellow military veterans solve issues and gain traction in some aspects of problems they are having. It is an honor to essentially act as an ambassador for the office while serving as a liaison between our office and the various state agencies/stakeholders.

While we are not in legislative session at the moment, it is essential to still conduct legislative research in order to remain informed on issues that are important to our constituents. I regularly perform research in issues or topics related to bills or committee hearings. Occasionally, I focus in on our specific district within Houston, District 133, in order to serve the constituents regarding issues that can be personal in nature. One motto I was taught in the Army is that often times, people don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care. I always keep this thought in the back of my mind when serving our constituents.

I think an aspect of this internship that surprised me the most is the comradery that exists that transcends party lines. There is the existence of mentorship, idea sharing, and hands extended “across the aisle”. My mentor in this internship is incredibly talented, professional, intelligent and extremely well informed on issues for all Texans, regardless of political beliefs. While I am not whole-heartedly interested in serving within the realm of state level politics, it is incredibly easy to see just how important the tireless efforts of these professionals are. There are so many dedicated individuals that are creating the heartbeat of Texas within the halls and offices of the truly magnificent granite, limestone, and copper structure at the end of Congress Avenue.

jturne12