This project tasked us with searching for and finding established typefaces that matched the letterforms we found in the environment. This assignment caused us examine which fundamental elements of particular letterforms made them distinguishable as their own typeface (such as its width, height, boldness or shape, use of serifs). I enjoyed finding the matching typefaces, and in some cases I found multiple that could apply to the same environmental letterform and had to choose which fit the best (which is where the fundamental elements part came in).

In the end I think I found typefaces and families that matched my environmental letterforms really well (I think the ones I found stayed true to the original images’ overall shape and character). I saw this as sort of translating these abstract shapes and raw ideas into applicable, vectorized typefaces (or finding the language to do so). I also found it interesting to also research the typefaces’ designers, publishers, as well as the inspiration, processes and backstories that went into their creation. These backgrounds helped me understand the reasons why the typefaces looked the way they did as well as the scope and range of the typefaces’ purposes.