May 7, 2020

Did you change your spring break plans because of the virus? From what to what?

Yes I was originally going on a road trip to Colorado for break, however one of the people I was going to be driving with has a compromised immune system due to a preexisting condition and we were unsure what would be happening in the future, therefor we decided to stay back. I ended up spending spring break in the city at my apartment.

How did you feel when you were informed the remainder of the semester would be held online?

I was alright with it however I did predict I would be less motivated, and I was right. It has been hard motivating myself to do schoolwork even though I know I should and that these are still classes.

Where will you be living while courses are held online? Is this a change from usual?

In my apartment near campus, no change.

What has been your experience with moving classes online? What’s good? What’s not so good?

I dislike the change. It has made me feel less motivated and honestly I miss the routine.

How has the virus (and the precautions taken to prevent it spreading) impacted your daily life?

I see my friends way less, I have almost no social circle outside of people I talk to on the phone. On the bright side I have been able to get into contact with many friends I had not talked to in a while.

How worried are you about getting the virus?

I am more worried about those close to me getting it than I am about myself. Other than smoking for a while I am relatively healthy and feel as though I could survive the virus easily. What scares me is that I could pass it to someone less equipped to handle it

Do you know anyone who has gotten COVID-19?

No one I know well.

Are you staying in? What are you doing to pass the time?

For the most part. I am running out of things, but exercise and reading have been important ways for me to keep my body and mind in good shape. Other than that I play video-games, run online RPG sessions and try to summon the effort to study.

Are you going out? Where do you go and what is it like?

I walk around at night when people aren’t out, and sometimes in the afternoon with my SO. I take the dog for walks on the trails near my apartment, it is empty, and everyone I see stays far away. People rarely smile the same way they used to and it is clear that an atmosphere of fear has taken over.

What is giving you hope and/or strength right now?

Honestly I don’t need hope or strength right now. I am not committed to pessimism. I am bored and stir-crazy but I believe in people enough to where I know we will see the other side of this soon.

Is there anything else you’d like to tell us about what you’re feeling or experiencing right now?

I see a lot of anger out there, I think we are more divided than ever and that is something that I wish this virus could help us to overcome. I think it is misguided to look for silver linings in tragedies but I hope that this could be one of them. We are united and if we can I would like us to come out the other end of this as united. I hope others would agree with that.